Long Island's Best: Guidelines 2021
- Students must be enrolled in grades 9-12 at a participating school in Nassau or Suffolk County, New York.
- Each student may submit only one work of art. (Collaborative pieces by more than one student are welcome and count as one work of art.)
- Painting, drawing, collage, printmaking, photography, computer graphics, sculpture, mixed media, fashion, and video artwork may be submitted.
- Schools may only submit the number of entries their school has been allotted. Completing the School Registration Form and paying the$35 fee earns the school 4 artwork entries. (More entries may be earned by scheduling programs with the museum.)
- Artwork must be based on professional works of art shown in The Heckscher Museum during the 2020-2021 school year and created and selected for submission under the guidance of the school’s art teacher(s). Students may select from the following exhibitions:
- Amanda Valdez: Piecework Learn more & See Artwork Images
- Balancing Act: Three Sculptures by William King Learn more & See Artwork Images
- Long Island Biennial 2020 Learn more & See Artwork Images
- Connie Fox: The Sammy’s Beach Series Learn more & See Artwork Images
- Wood Gaylor and American Modernism Learn more & See Artwork Images
SIZE & FRAMING*
- Two-dimensional/ Wall-hanging artwork
- Artwork must be a maximum of 36” wide, 48” high (including frame)
- Framed in a black or white frame. Works on paper must have glass or Plexiglas. (The only time a frame is not required is if a work is an a-typical shape, format, and/or medium that is not yielding to traditional framing.)
- Ready to hang with hardware and/or wiring on the back.
- Three-dimensional/ Free-standing artwork
- Maximum 72” high, 24” wide, 30” deep.
- The Museum will supply pedestals, as needed, to display 3-D work.
- Video Artwork
- Files must be provided on a USB flash drive. A Museum laptop and/or TV will be used for jurying and display for works selected for exhibition.
*The Museum will not accept work that is unstable, damaged, or does not meet specified conditions and guidelines. The Museum is not responsible for damage that may occur during the transportation or jurying of artwork. Students are advised to protect artwork during travel.
Each school planning to have their students participate in Long Island’s Best 2021 must complete a School Registration Form and pay a non-refundable $35 registration fee by December 11, 2020. This entitles the school to 4 student entries, created and selected under the guidance of the art teacher(s). Only one form is required per school. Names and email addresses for all potentially participating teachers are required. Once the form and fee are received, all teacher(s) will be added to the Long Island’s Best 2021 e-mail list.
2021 Entry Form Coming Soon!