Long Island's Best: Guidelines 2020
- Students must be enrolled in grades 9-12 at a participating school in Nassau or Suffolk County, NewYork.
- Artwork must be based on professional works of art shown in The Heckscher Museum during the 2019-2020 school year and created and selected for submission under the guidance of the school’s art teacher(s).
- Each student may submit only one work of art. (Collaborative pieces by more than one student are welcome and count as one work of art.)
- Painting, drawing, collage, printmaking, photography, computer graphics, sculpture, mixed media, fashion, and video artwork may be submitted.
- Schools may only submit the number of entries their school has been allotted. Completing the School Registration Form and paying the$35 fee earns the school 4 artwork entries. (More entries may be earned by scheduling programs with the museum. Learn more)
SIZE & FRAMING*
- Two-dimensional/ Wall-hanging artwork
- Artwork must be a maximum of 36” wide, 48” high (including frame)
- Framed in a black or white frame. Works on paper must have glass or Plexiglas. (The only time a frame is not required is if a work is an a-typical shape, format, and/or medium that is not yielding to traditional framing.)
- Ready to hang with hardware and/or wiring on the back.
- Three-dimensional/ Free-standing artwork
- Maximum 72” high, 24” wide, 30” deep.
- The Museum will supply pedestals, as needed, to display 3-D work.
- Video Artwork
- Files must be provided on a USB flash drive. A Museum laptop and/or TV will be used for jurying and display for works selected for exhibition.
*The Museum will not accept work that is unstable, damaged, or does not meet specified conditions and guidelines. The Museum is not responsible for damage that may occur during the transportation or jurying of artwork. Students are advised to protect artwork during travel.
Each school planning to have their students participate in Long Island’s Best 2020 must complete a School Registration Form and pay a non-refundable $35 registration fee by November 22, 2019. This entitles the school to 4 student entries, created and selected under the guidance of the art teacher(s).
Only one form is required per school. Names and email addresses for all potentially participating teachers are required. Once the form and fee are received, all teacher(s) will be added to the Long Island’s Best 2020 e-mail list. (Register your school now button)
Artist Statement- Required
Each student must write and submit an artist statement (50 to 150 words) with the Student Entry Form. This statement should explain the connection between the inspiration artwork seen in the Museum and the student artwork being submitted. The statement plays a key role in the jurying process.
Examples of artist statements are available at Heckscher.org
Digital Image of Artwork
• .jpg or .tif file • Minimum 300 dpi
• Minimum 6 inches height and width 6 inches
• File name must contain student’s full name (Ex: JohnSmith.jpg)
*** A digital image is NOT REQUIRED and is NOT for jurying purposes. This image is for a digital display. If a student’s work is not selected for exhibition, this image will be used in the display.
†The Museum reserves the right to only display images that meet the Image Requirements.
(Student Entry Form button)
Sun., May 3: 5 – 6 pm, Mon., May, 4 & Tues., May 5: 2 – 5pm
*Students who win additional awards, and their art teachers, will be notified as awards are determined, prior to the March 28 Opening Reception.